27 August 2008

My pool of friends has no deep end

Last month I found out that my friend Sarah's new housemate Anna is good friends with my fellow expat buddy Pat here in London. They went to school together. That school was Boston College, for which I find it hard to forgive them.

Last week I found out that my friend Bess' husband Joel knows my ex-girlfriend's high school friend Meredith. They met in the dogpark when their dogs enjoyed sniffing each other in that disgusting way that doglovers strangely enjoy and the rest of us try to ignore.

Last night I saw an old friend named Kalyani. I met her last year when I moved to London. A guy on my C'ville soccer team (go Donnybrook FC!) had a friend named Marisa in London and passed me her contact information when I moved over. She went to school in London with Kalyani, who has since moved to Beijing but was back in town for graduation. I met her friend Anna at drinks and we discovered that we each know Sulove -- she goes to school with him; I know him via my friend Conor who hung out with him when they both lived in New York. Anna and I decided to text Sulove the same exact message at the same exact time ('hello my brown friend ... how are things?'). Having no way to know that we'd met, he sent us both text messages asking if we'd just sent him a message that said 'hello my brown friend ... how are things?' as he'd received identical messages from two friends. Also, he said to answer the question he was hale and hearty. Anna and I replied separately that we'd sent him that exact message, and each included cryptic references that referred to the responses he'd sent to the other person. Sulove was upset and confused. Afterwards I explained the whole thing and we made plans to hang out when his friend Youyoung -- who I met once in New York with Conor (we all went to this Bulgarian club that I took Sarah too a couple of weeks ago when I was back in New York), and then saw again in Berlin for the Radiohead show in July -- is in town. Apparently they know each other.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So the Mennonite game has gone global. It's about time.