12 May 2009

Movies on a plane!

Took a couple of long haul flights recently and was prolific in my movie watching.

Flight 1: London to Singapore

Babel - starring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett - 2 hours, 22 minutes
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - starring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett - 2 hours, 46 minutes
Bolt - starring John Travolta and Miley Cyrus - 1 hour, 44 minutes

My thoughts:
So that was over 5 hours straight of Brad and Cate, which was a bit much. Babel was definitely the most entertaining of the three; I'm sorry it took me so long to get around to watching it. Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu (director) is a visionary. For a short story adaptation they sure made Benjamin Button into a long movie. It struck me as a studio movie -- almost too well polished, especially when they superimposed Cate's adult voice onto a 7 year-old girl. Bolt was John Travolta at his finest, so it was pretty lame.

Flight 2: Hong Kong to London

Pineapple Express - starring Seth Rogen and James Franco - 1 hour, 51 minutes
The Wrestler - starring Mickey Rourke and Marisa Tomei - 1 hour, 55 minutes
Tropic Thunder - starring Ben Stiller and Robert Downey Jr. - 1 hour, 47 minutes
Che: Part One - starring Benecio del Toro - 2 hours, 6 minutes

My thoughts:
Four movies back to back to back to back is pretty intense, and I followed that up with 3 TV episodes. Since I don't have a TV at the flat, this is how I roll. Pineapple Express was hilarious. The Wrestler was as good as I've heard. Marisa Tomei is still hot, maybe even too hot for an airplane. I thought Tropic Thunder was pretty dumb, and Che was a little too heavy for a flight. Peep Show, which was one of the shows I watched after the movies, is hilarious. One of the best shows around.

I had an awkward moment when I realized my seatmate -- this big fat guy -- was watching WALL-E. I realized he was watching it (and he realized I realized he was watching it) just as it is unveiled that in the future we will all be obese and lazy and rolled around in motorized chairs.

On other flights this year I've watched Australia, Rachel Getting Married, and Madagascar: Escape to Africa.

When I watched Australia, I felt like I was losing money. Rachel Getting Married was GREAT, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't the airplane effect where everything seems better with altitude (see Forgetting Sarah Marshall). And Madagascar is brilliant. There is no funnier cartoon character in history than King Julien.

The End.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Imagine if King Julien's voice was done by a real meerkat... like Aleksander Orlov's for example!
Not even sound same, simples.

Sergei
IT manager at comparethemeerkat.com