18 June 2008

Be quiet when you're talking to me

Silent Disco - anyone ever been to one? As is always the case, Rick knows all about them.

Format varies, but it's usually a bunch of people dancing around, usually outside, wearing headphones with FM links to a DJ who is playing live. I think I'm gonna go to one Friday. Massive Attack is putting one on in the Southbank, and Four Tet is DJing.

Seems like one of those scenarios where you could easily remove yourself from the situation (by taking your headphones off) and get a really good picture to accompany the caption: "We live in a really strange world".

I would draw parallels to being in Africa, snorkeling in the Indian ocean. When my head was underwater there were thousands of fish around. Literally thousands (because in Africa it's ok to throw bread into the water to attract fish even if it's not ok to throw bread into the water to attract fish). There were so many that I was kind of panicky. And when I looked into the depths I could see that the fish got bigger and bigger the deeper I looked. Bigger and more like they wanted to hurt me. But when I brought my head above water I could make myself forget about all those fish and just think "I'm treading water in the Indian ocean".

Not exactly the same but kind of the same somehow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What's up, Reinford? Hadn't checked your blog in awhile. It appears that you are still in fine form.
Have fun at the silent disco.
What kind of drugs are ingested at a silent disco? Not that you do any drugs--- Mom disclaimer...

-Richard

Unknown said...

the silent disco is outside so i'll probably mix some sudafed with some claritin (allergy meds rule!)