31 December 2008

HAPPY NEW YEAR

In 2009 I'd like to blog more.

But as they say: if nothing's going in, nothing's going to come out. In an effort to feed a bit more content into brain, and thus inspire new content for the blog, I'm going to have to read more in the new year.

If you're unfamiliar with my history with reading, it goes something like this:

Age 0-14 Voracious appetite for reading and being read to.

Age 15-24 Only read when absolutely necessary (textbooks).

Age 25-27 Read one or two books each month. Rotated between fiction and non-fiction. Lots of Tom Robbins, Dave Eggers/McSweeneys stuff, some Classics. Typically read before falling asleep as a way to wind down at the end of the day.

Age 28 Got so good at winding down by reading, that I'm no longer able to stay awake if there is a book in hand. I can read, at a maximum, 4 pages before falling asleep. And those last two pages are read in a state of semi-consciousness. So usually I have to read 2 pages back in order to remember where I left off the night before, for a net of 2 pages/night. This explains why my entire reading for 2009 consists of 3/4 of a single book.

Have a great night tonight. I hope all your dreams come true.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe in your old age you should try books on tape (probably in a different format) like Kindle or something.
Monica

Anonymous said...

I'll let you marvel at my Kindle and get jealous...

Anonymous said...

that's not a euphemism by the way...

Anonymous said...

Off to a good start on the "blog more" resolution. I'm about to stop checking.