04 March 2009

No one really says hakuna matata

Tomorrow evening I'm flying to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania (via Doha, Qatar). I'm as excited about this trip as any I've been on since my last trip to Tz 9 years ago for my University's Cross-Cultural program. In fact, I'm so excited that I've been laying out clothes all week -- something else I don't think I've done since 9 years ago. I'm more of a Day-Of packer these days.

A few things that have changed about me in the past 9 years...

I have surgically enhanced eyes.
I weigh approximately 3 pounds more.
I have a degree and a job.
I must shave more than bi-monthly.
I'm no longer fiscally indebted to my parents.
I'm an uncle x2.
I'm all over the internet.

If you've never been to Africa you should be scheming of a way to get there at some point. It can be any corner, but for me it was an important trip to take to understand my place in the world. This will be my third time on the continent but Morocco and [especially] Egypt didn't really strike me in the same way as Tanzania.

Also excited to use my Swahili skillz. Saaaafi.

I'll end with a song. (Translation on the right).


JamboHello
Jambo, Jambo Bwana,Hello, Hello Sir,
Habari gani,How are you,
Mzuri sana.Very fine.
Wageni, mwakaribishwa,Foreigners, you're welcome,
Kenya yetu Hakuna Matata.In our Kenya there is no problem.
Kenya nchi nzuri,Kenya is a beautiful country,
Hakuna Matata.There is no problem.
Nchi ya maajabuA wonderful country
Hakuna Matata.There is no problem.
Nchi yenye amani,A peaceful country,
Hakuna Matata.There is no problem.
Hakuna Matata,There is no problem,
Hakuna Matata.There is no problem.
Watu wote,Everybody,
Hakuna Matata,There is no problem,
Wakaribishwa,Are welcome,
Hakuna Matata.There is no problem.
Hakuna Matata,There is no problem,
Hakuna Matata. (mpaka mwisho)There is no problem. (till end)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could have lived my whole life and happily never heard/seen that song again. Thanks, now I have it running through my head.


Safari njema! Drink some Tusker for me, and don't forget the most important travel phrase. "Wapi Choo?"