12 October 2007

Emba-rrasing

So I've always pictured embassies like the one in that Val Kilmer movie (someone remember the name for me). Elisabeth Shue is running towards the gates, passport open, and the gates open for her and shut quickly behind. And then inside there are comfortable couches and tea with biscuits.

But this morning I went to get extra pages added to my passport and was brought to the cold reality that embassies are usually ugly buildings with bored, underpaid workers. Just an international version of the DMV.

But after waiting in line outside, sitting on the benches inside (while reading a hilarious America propoganda magazine called "The American"), my extra pages were added. So they got the job done.

With that said, the 'rents have arrived. Off to Italia for bad-pizza-that-they-think-is-good-pizza and a tour from Genoa to Rome. So the blog will be disturbingly quiet from now til next Thursday. Be warned. Maybe start your own blog (?) which would take about 10 seconds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

did you ever go to any of the US embassies in e.africa? Much like you just described.

Val Kilmer movie= The Saint.

The fact that I knew that off the top of my head = almost as embarrasing as American propoganda magazines

SJS