20 October 2007

The soundtrack of my life

Last night I FINALLY saw a good representation of Broken Social Scene in concert. To be fair, it was a kind of convaluted version of the band -- it was a portion of the band playing Broken Social Scene songs in addition to most of the new album by one of the band's founding members, Kevin Drew. (For a better history of BSS -- read this.)

So the name of the show was Broken Social Scene Presents: The Spirit If... by Kevin Drew.

And that new album is phenomenal. And they did play a decent amount of classic BSS stuff. Cause = Time was a highlight, Lover's Spit was a highlight, Emily Haines coming out for 7/4 Shoreline was a highlight. I was just happy to be there.

Broken Social Scene is the music best representative of my 20s. I'd say Dave Matthews Band was the band of my 10s, if we're putting things into decades.

If we were to split it into 5-year increments, I'd say:

10-15: Boyz II Men
15-20: Dave Matthews Band
20-25: Ryan Adams
25-30: Broken Social Scene

If I had to guess which bands will define my next stages, I'd guess:

30-35: Wilco
35-40: Harry Connick Jr.
40-45: Backstreet Men
45-50: Men II Old Men

No comments: