30 September 2007

Pulling up roots

I've never really given much thought to where my family came from. Not really a history buff. I remember my sister doing a pretty nerdy geneology project that she subsequently leveraged into an even nerdier geneology hobby back when I was in middle school. I think it was discovered that Mark Twain and Babe Ruth are both not-too-distant relatives. Which explains a lot.

Being here, I have become slightly more curious, but still with an underlying air of indifference. I usually tell people I'm Swiss-German.

When I was in Germany a few weeks ago I wondered whether I was genetically predisposed towards liking the food. I also made note of how easy a time everyone was having with the pronunciation of my last name. I'm going to Switzerland in a few weeks -- maybe I'll have some more "A-ha" moments. I love those. Especially when my first reaction is: I'm a genius. And that reaction is immediately followed by another "A-ha" moment which is: You're not a genius - this is something you should've known or considered a long, long time ago.

We don't get French benefits?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nerdy girl took her boys to the zoo today. We had a lot of fun, probably because we're related to you. Hope you have a fun week. We're having a big party on Saturday, too bad that's one fun plan you'll have to miss out on.
Monica