28 September 2007

My audience enjoys my misery

I got a note from my dear cousin Amy encouraging me to write more about (I'm paraphrasing) not having friends, being lonely and out of place, and the embarrassing and awkward situations I've gotten into recently, as opposed to (I'm paraphrasing) jet-setting, my successes pulling Swedish girls, professional and social accomplishments and how happy I am to be alive.

With pessimism in mind, here's what's making headlines:

1. It's still raining. Rain expected through the weekend. And then next week = more rain.
2. And it's cold.
3. Oh, and back on the subject of rain -- when it rains people here carry umbrellas (or 'brollies'), which can hurt people.
4. I'm pretty much over the cold sweating and violent redistribution of my insides as caused by the faux-Mexican tacos I enjoyed a few days ago.
5. Once, I asked this girl out and she totally said no.
6. I had a few meeting-free days earlier this week, so I didn't shave (or shower?). I also dressed down considerably. I probably looked pretty silly to those proper Londoners with their bespoke suits and top hats.
7. Rent here is really expensive.
8. But in order to live somewhere cheaper... I'll have to move. Which is never fun. And ends up being expensive.
9. When I think about it, I'm thousands of miles away from my mom. And any baked goods she may have produced recently.
10. Notre Dame will probably be losing again tomorrow.
11. Arsenal will probably be winning, but since I got scammed out of a season ticket, that's kind of bittersweet.
12. Foreign exchange, eh? It's really just beating me while I'm down. 2:1? and now 1.4:1 for the euro? Come on guys. Even Canada's nearly level.
13. Europe seems to be largely godless.
14. Unless you're talking about money as god, in which case a quick trip down to Abacus on Thursday night can be your witness. Bottle service anyone?
15. I just realized I lost my woolie. Given that hoodies aren't really socially acceptable for non-knife-wielding members of the population, my ears are going to be cold until this gets sorted out.
16. My Pilate's instructor is never going to notice me.
17. I forgot to eat lunch again today.
18. But even if I'd remembered, how many cucumber-mayonnaise-egg-chickpea-bacon sandwiches on brown bread can one man eat?
19. Still haven't met my new nephew.

I'll just end with 19. I can't even think of a good #20. That's just me and my bad luck.

Bless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much better than the Sun/NYPost headline one you were writing. I still think my suggestion was pretty good...but decency prevents me from listing it here.

Anonymous said...

To be fair, I didn't specifically request a story about the sadder side of your existence. I simply made the observation that your blogs tended to be a bit more colorful before you were doing so much power-lunching and night-lifing. But since you brought it up, I'd like to hear more about the Arsenal ticket scam? And you do Pilates? Surely there's something blogworthy there . . . .