29 May 2008

So...

The US men's soccerball team is really awful.

We made England think they were good again, but really we were just playing ... exactly like we did in the 1998 and 2006 World Cups. Spineless, uninspired, predictable. Dunno ... it was just sad. It was hard to be patriotic, especially when the crowd only does one cheer, which during the course of the game regressed through these phases:

USA! USA! USA!
USA! USA! USA!
USA? USA? USA?
USA. USA. USA.
usa. usa. usa.
usa, usa, usa...
usa.
~Mexican wave~

Thankfully I put a bet down before the game that Steven Gerrard would score the last goal. And he did, giving me a return of £6 and 0 minutes of my life back on an initial investment of £55 and 2 hours of my life.

The one bright spot was the moment I realized that Americans are still leading the world in the creation of single-use t-shirts with irreverent hand-written slogans.

My favorite said "Remember WWII? You're Welcome."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't I the one who picked Gerrard to score last?

Unknown said...

Let's not ruin the post's spirit with minor details.

I may have misremembered.