11 May 2007

I finally really live here

Returning to my flat from last weekend's trip made me feel like I'm finally a true resident. The other thing that tipped me off was my lists. If you know me well you know that I make and maintain multiple lists. For the past months my lists have consisted of items like:

1. Wire transfer
2. Get WiFi
3. Buy a coffee table. And lots of other things at IKEA.
4. Find out what "alight" means
5. Write an insulting letter to Foxtons, my lettings agency

But these days, my lists are more like:

1. Get a haircut. You really need one.
2. Do laundry. You're going to have to learn how to use the washer/dryer at some point.
3. Pay utilities
4. Juice/granola bars/muffins
5. Drink more water

True, I still don't have a spoon, bowl or plate, and there are still little details I need to iron out and things I need to buy, but when your mindset changes from the overwhelming "find a place to live and move all your stuff there" to the less stressful "brush teeth, clip fingernails, eat 3x daily, shave, do laundry", it shows that you're somewhere stable. Feels good too.

No comments: