21 May 2007

My sister is 30

For the first 3 years of her life I was nonexistent (just a sparkle in Glenn's eye).

For the next 5 years I transitioned from being indifferent about having a sister to waxing reverence.

For the next 10 years, I basically terrorized her and did my best to make her miserable and fear me by throwing some really impressive temper tantrums and just being rude and cruel whenever the opportunity presented itself.

Then she went to college (3 years).
Then I went to the same college (1 year overlap).

During that year of college I saw her in a whole new light, or maybe I just grew up. This isn't to say that we were best friends, but I was glad she was there. She made me food and gave me some good advice. And she was a decorated musician, which made me proud.

This isn't to say I was nice to her.

In the 5 years since college (now I feel old), a bit of that 80s reverence has returned. We live very different lives and have different goals, but our values are the same. And seeing her succeed in her career and be a great mom keeps me grounded and facing in the right direction.

I'm not going to let her completely off the hook -- she did buy me probably the worst Christmas present of all time: a miniature pool table (I was 21). But even in that moment of indiscretion there are bits of redeeming grace. What was she imagining while purchasing that gift? Standing in the checkout line, she probably pictured me with my friends, gathered around the table, shooting miniature pool balls into miniature pockets, laughing and smiling. She probably pictured my friends gazing at me with admiration. She thought it would make me popular and improve my quality of life.

So despite the fact that none of that happened, I've received lesser gifts (like when she promised to knit me a hat and scarf in 1995, a gift that remains undelivered).

Happy Birthday Monica. From your adoring younger brother.

(P.S. I will be traveling to the U.S. to star in my friend Brad Miller's wedding. So that means no new posts until next week when I get back. Fill the void by learning a new language or otherwise bettering yourself during your newfound downtime.)

No comments: