12 May 2007

Slow news day

Last night I went to this Meetup group thing. For those of you who haven't heard of these, they're just these general interest groups that exist in big cities. Last month I went along to one made up of Ex-New Yorkers living in London. Yesterday I went to the meetup for May. It's mostly just a bunch of Americans hanging out.

Had a funny conversation with this guy that went like this:

--So how long have you been over here? (me)
--Just a month. (strange meetup group guy)
--You liking it? I moved over in March.
--I do yeah.
--What do you do?
--Um... It's --uh. Well... Biology.
--Oh alright. Who do you work for?
--One of the big guys. Multinational player.
--Are you not allowed to say where?
--No I can say where.
--Ok.
--They're enormous. You've definitely heard of them.
--Um... Eli Lilly? Glaxo-Smith Kline? Merck-
--Merck? No, Merck's small time. They're based in New Jersey.
--Pfizer-
--Pfizer? Pfizer's European headquarters are in Frankfurt.
--Yeah I mean, I don't really know much about pharmaceuticals... so you're not going to tell me where you work?
--You said it.
--I said the name? Which one?
--You said it.
--Um, Pfizer?
--[looks insulted]
--Glaxo Smith-Kline?
--[awkward glance to the side]
--Glaxo Smith-Kline, huh? I've heard good things. Well hey it was nice meeting you. I'm going to go get another drink.

Weird.

No comments: