08 November 2007

P-T-O Y do Americans like to work so much?

Despite a generous U.S. corporate holiday policy, I still have less paid holiday than a typical U.K. employee. Starting October 1 of this year, British law required that all full-time employees be given a minimum of 24 paid holidays per annum. A typical policy here would consist of 25 days + a few sick days each year (starting from day 1).

In April of 2009 the minimum will be raised to 28 days (which can include public & bank holidays). If you work more than 48 hours/week, you must sign an opt-out agreement. Otherwise working more than 48 hours on a weekly basis is illegal.

And the U.K.'s policy is less generous than that of much of Europe. Some have a maximum 35 hour work week (Le French); some get 6 weeks holiday (Ze Germans).

Me, I'm happy with my policy so long as I can sprinkle in the occasional business trip or hybrid business/pleasure trip. Work hard, play hard.

So I'm playing hard in Copenhagen this weekend and all over Ireland next week with my buddy Travis, who is a good friend because he's visiting me here. Are you a good friend? If you've not been a good friend, start making some plans for the spring. The blog will be making cricket sounds until I return so give www.kayak.com a look in the meantime.

No comments: