16 April 2007

Attainable greatness

We're all good at certain things. And when we think of our talents we tend to broaden the categories into fields of study, athletics and personality traits. Those categories are too general. Who cares if you're good at math or tennis? Certainly not me.

I am interested in greatness. To think of something you're great at (we'll say 90th percentile in the world or higher), most of us have to get extremely specific. I oftentimes wonder if I'm not the best in the world at: Catching things that I've dropped.

Say I'm holding a pen and it slips out of my hand. I will react and catch that pen before it hits the ground. I accidentally showcase this talent probably once or twice per week. Many of my good friends have seen it firsthand. And the item isn't important -- I've done this with paperclips, business cards, even a gallon of milk.

I'm also great at changing lanes -- even several lanes consecutively -- but since I don't have a car anymore and haven't really driven much over the last few years, I can't say for sure that I'm still great at it. This is why it's important to recognize the things that you're great at and groom those skills.

Sometimes greatness isn't about practice, it's about redefining things. Think about it. People will be interested in what you come up with. My friend Brad Miller would have absolutely nothing to live for if he couldn't constantly revel in the fact that his thumb is, proportionate to his body, the tallest thumb on earth.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow er/uk, that is really an amazing skill. I would caution you however, as one who also possesses some degree of proficiency at catching things I have dropped, that simply reacting is not enough. Say for instance that you drop a large bladed, and very sharp kitchen knife. The blade on said object is at least 2/3 of the entire surface area. Here comes the question. Would an expert like yourself:

A. simply allow the knife to hit the floor.
B. Grab for the handle
C. Or would you, (like your mother) never have a sharp enough kitchen knife around to have to worry about it.

kyle said...

hey, i resent that. our mom cut a good chunk out of her thumb off with a knife once. i think it was cutco.

Anonymous said...

And your mom was just making a salad - not even doing something 'great' like catching it before it hit the floor! Your friend Matt may still have blood on his hands from that cutco sale.

Unknown said...

Mom, you commented!