11 April 2007

Remember when I was soooo skinny?

When I started high school I was 5 feet tall, 77 pounds. Wearing sweat pants and a hooded sweatshirt. Soaking wet. Holding an infant.

I hovered around 90 lbs there for a while and when I finally reached the 100 lb mark I was thrilled. Parties were planned, signs were made and hung in the halls ... and then the assistant principal took them down thinking that I was victim to a teasing campaign.

In college I bulked up from 120 to 140 thanks to a strength and speed coach who fed me creatine, oatmeal and peanut butter. His target weight for me was 180, which he only missed by 40 lbs.

Sometime after college I realized that my license still listed me at 105 lbs and 5' 8".

Nowadays I've ballooned to the 150 range, which effectively makes me the loser of a bet I made with Mark Miller. Not sure of the wager, but the bet was on who would be closest to their college weight at age 50. If you've seen Mark Miller lately you know that he hasn't added a pound (or the ability to grow facial hair which, in hindsight, is a gift I wish I'd retained).

Wait why did I start writing this?

Oh yeah, muffins. They are fantastic here. Miniature and blueberry. They're going straight to my thighs but I don't care they're so delicious. I probably average eating one per hour. I'm going to have to increase my nervous leg twitching to burn those extra calories. (Another fun fact for all of you -- my leg was once shaking so violently that I was asked to leave a restaurant.)

Man these posts just keep getting better!

1 comment:

Mark and Hill said...

i'm on a comment spree. Thank you eric for acknowledging my relative "win" in my lack of ability to both grow and grow facial hair. I'm actually feeling good about both. Some of my lack of weight gain could be the fact that, like you i sometimes forget to eat, and unlike you i never went through the phase of lifting or bulking up in any sort, barring a two week period at the beginning of college where my cool new friends all did. After two weeks, i found more interesting things to do with two hours in the middle of the day than listen to metallica songs from a decade before and get yelled at by geoff and others who spoke in incomplete sentences, punctuated by grunting, and using the phrases "dawgpound" and "schnaaaps"