02 April 2007

No money laundering

The first time I ever did my own laundry I was in college. (My mom already gets a lot of shout-outs on this blog, and certainly this deserves another round of thanks.) I sorted out whites and darks, started the cycle, and came back 30 minutes later to find that I hadn't added any detergent.

In subsequent years, my laundering skills have improved. Yes I have occassionally stained other clothes with new colorful shirts, and yes I should've taken some things to the dry cleaner instead of sticking them in the washer with my grass-stained soccer socks. But up until yesterday I thought I had things pretty well figured out.

I have a combo washer/dryer in my kitchen. I did three loads. On the first, I somehow turned the temperature up to some unbelievable degree as to unset the colors from some shirts that must've been washed 50x prior. Also the drying cycle didn't work so I had to hang these around the room to dry. On the second load, I sorted out colors and whites to prevent the same sort of problem -- things went swimmingly. After an hour and a half, my clothes were clean and dry. On the third, final, and most troubling load, I couldn't get the door open to get the clothes out. The cycle evidently has to finish completely and I somehow disrupted things. As I was to be out of this apartment by 10am the next morning, I really wanted to get things sorted out, especially given the possibility that the clothes wouldn't even be dry once they were finally freed. So I ran the whole cycle through again, went to bed, and this morning I had a washer full of clean, but absolutely soaked, clothes.

Which are now in a garbage bag inside of another bag which also contains my suits.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just woke up from a dream in which i was hanging out with you in london with a whole group of people i didn't know but you did. we were all boarding a plane to beirut for a week. i got held up in security because i had said that i was taking a tv with me through carryon on a piece of paper i had submitted to heathrow ahead of time (wtf) and then i didn't have the tv with me. i missed the flight and then ran into you guys as i was walking home (?) from the airport. you all were playing some huge weirdo game of clue that your company had required you to do. your company in my dream was much like tom cruise's in 'the firm'. we learned that the company was actually blackwater (i'm reading a book about those assholes right now) and so we started plotting against them. then i woke up. i tell you about this in this post because you had DIRTY CLOTHES in the dream. seriously. - Andrea