06 April 2007

It's suboats to be fun

Tomorrow I'm going to a boat race. Actually I'm going to THE boat race (www.theboatrace.org). Cambridge v Oxford, on the Thames.

Per the website: "Oxford have won four of the last five encounters but Cambridge lead the series by 78-73, since 1829 with one dead heat. The scene is now set for The Race on April 7th at 4.30pm."

And this year it's showing on ESPN in the States, I think. So you can watch it, 5 or so hours before 4:30GMT (11:30am for most of you).

I'm probably going to wear an ascot. Well, I'm going to find out what an ascot is first and then I'm probably going to wear one. I'm hoping this is one of those lo-brow/hi-brow events like the Kentucky Derby where there's a clear division in class of those in attendance. Those kinds of events just make me happy.

Postscript -- apparently this was only on ESPNu or something. And also, there were like a million people there. Seriously. Dozens deep on both sides of the river for as far as I could see in either direction. Cambridge won by a length. Way to go Light Blues! Way to beat the Dark Blues! Can someone please help the English with their mascot names!

No comments: