31 March 2007

Overly nostalgic

My first visitors in London were two American-African friends: Nate & Julie Overly.

Approximately one year after headlining one of the only weddings I've ever actually enjoyed attending, the duo visited London for a week -- Julie to attend an educational conference (she and Nate both teach at the International School of Tanganyika in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania), Nate to ... wander around the city, visit me daily for lunch, and nap frequently.















(Starlets, take notice: visiting me in London guarantees a post dedicated to you on my blog w/ pictures -- promotion that's sure to be viewed by literally tens of people!)


Highlights from the week included:

Monday: It was probably 50 degrees, but Nate & Julie live in Africa. They were very cold, and also don't really own that many warm clothes anymore. So they borrowed jackets and scarves from some friend, who was a woman. So Nate walked around the trendiest part of London in drag. I introduced Nate & Julie to my shawarma guy, then we walked through Picadilly and on Oxford/Regent Streets until we tired ourselves out.

Tuesday: Nate & Julie went to see the musical Wicked. So I went out for my colleague's birthday, which ended with me walking most of the way home at 3:30am because I missed the last train and my knowledge of the bus routes is kind of hit or miss. I did potentially meet someone who can get me tickets to see Arcade Fire next time they're in town.

Wednesday: Watched the England v Andorra game in Covent Garden. Met these chaps (pictured below) who were in town on business (and by business I mean on strike against English/EU work laws which apparently allow immigrants from Eastern Europe to saturate the labor markets -- showing up in London and going to the pub is sure to make a statement!). After another pathetic display by England, we finished off with a nightcap of Baby Guinness at The Angelic in Islington.















And that was pretty much it. See you in a few more years on another continent my globetrotting, big-game-hunting friends. Lovely to see you.

Oh, and as for the review of Guinness Red -- that happened on Thursday afternoon. Per Nate (and I can confirm) it's pretty unremarkable. It's kind of like an imposter Guinness -- kind of reddish, but definitely recognizable as a Guinness -- thick and frothy. Not nearly as satisfying or good for you (just making things up at this point).















If you're looking to try a new refreshing beverage with a chromatic name, I'd suggest Kronenbourg Blanc. The French have done something right with this one. It may supplant Hoegaarden as the best summer brew.

But if you're determined to do something new with Guinness, go with a Baby Guinness over Guinness Red. But I'm not going to tell you what that is. My mom probably doesn't like it when I talk about this stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes if the truth be known, in some moments I can phrase that I agree with you, but you may be in the light of other options.
to the article there is even now a suspect as you did in the fall publication of this request www.google.com/ie?as_q=what is xyzal medicine ?
I noticed the catch-phrase you suffer with not used. Or you partake of the dark methods of inspiriting of the resource. I take a week and do necheg