19 June 2007

Buffalololo's

Apparently this is a proper sentence: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

That's because Buffalo refers to a city; a buffalo is an animal, and; buffalo is a verb which means to bully, confuse, deceive or intimidate. Wikipedia has a whole entry on it.

Therefore "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is a grammatically correct sentence, which is easier to read with a few substituted words as "Buffalo bison whom other Buffalo bison bully themselves bully Buffalo bison".

Take that to trivia night!

Oh and I realize this makes for two pretty lame posts this week. Sorry dudes. I've got some great stuff in the queue like:

1. Pictures from Bath
2. This one time I had a dream that I would die on November 22nd which I kind of believe.
3. A couple of interesting stories that I either randomly remembered or someone reminded me of. One involves me breaking my collarbone. The other involves Injuns.
4. QWERTY v Dvorak keyboard configurations: were you aware?
5. Maybe something about people getting pushed in front of trains.
6. Maybe something about how much I love hot water in all forms: Hot tubs, steam rooms, Hammams, showers, etc.
7. Maybe the transcript of the toast I didn't give at my friend Brad Miller's wedding.

So lots in the pipeline.

3 comments:

Mark and Hill said...

this is a lame post, and i would argue that your sentence is in fact not gramatically correct. I would agree that "buffalo buffalo buffalo." is a sentence, but that since buffalo is not, in your definition at least, a transition, i don't know how to keep adding "buffalo(s)" onto the end of the sentence. not to nitpick, but you know, just want to be a pain in the ass

Unknown said...

Mark, the post has just been expanded and footnoted. So ead.

kyle said...

you should check out ghoti as well. it's pronounced "fish". check it out on wikipedia.