05 June 2007

er/ukipedia

I need to figure out how I can get my own profile page on Wikipedia. Seems like I should be able to add one myself, seeing as how...

1. Wikipedia is an encyclopedia.
2. An encyclopedia, encyclopaedia or (traditionally) encyclopædia[1] is a comprehensive written compendium that contains information on all branches of knowledge or a particular branch of knowledge.
3. I am a subject. So there is knowledge pertaining to me -- who I am, what I do, why I do it. This is knowledge worth preserving for no other reason than bandwidth, but still.
4. I am the foremost expert on that particular branch of knowledge (not that this last point matters much on Wikipedia, where everyone has a virtual doctorate).

But it seems like they don't really want you doing this:

It is not recommended to write an article about yourself. If you are notable, someone else will notice you and write the article.

Well what if the people who notice me aren't really the "randomly-proactive-enough-to-do-something-pointless-like-add-and-footnote-an-article-on-someone-I-know" type?

Worthless friends aside, if there WERE an entry on me, these items would need to be included in the construction if it was to be a definitive and comprehensive biography:

The Early Years
skinny, mother's worst nightmare, played a lot of soccer, pretty good at temper tantrums, dressed poorly

The Formative Years
skinny, mother's dream, still played a lot of soccer but also became more acceptable socially and so diversified his time between some other stuff too, like girls

As a YUPPIE (or YUMMIE -- a modified term used by my friends which substitutes Professional with Mennonite)
writer, expat, financial analyst, marathoner, photographer

In the Future
screenwriter, triathlete, small business owner, larger business owner, father of 5, husband of 1, philanthropist, internationally known blogger personality, that guy who saved all those people


I'm sure I have other attributes and defining characteristics from different times in my life. And I'm sure you'll remind me of them. Be nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not in Wikipedia yet, but I would make one correction regarding the early years - you were not a mother's worst nightmare! Some of your friends may have been [though I doubt it], but not you. Challenging at times, yes. Nightmare, no.

Unknown said...

wait who is that? you mom? is that you?