30 July 2007

Lifetime statistics

I currently have a little streak going: I've worn a suit for 12 consecutive weekdays (a lifetime statistic I hope never to replicate or better). This got me thinking about other lifetime statistics. I wish these were compiled somewhere. An international public libreric. Hah. I modified another word. See how easily I did that?

Back to the subject of the post. As an example here, I'm wondering how many goals I've scored (+4 based on a pretty nifty pick-up outing in the park on Saturday). How many times have I half-tripped, and then turned around and looked menacingly at the crack that tripped me? How many quarts of homemade applesauce have I consumed? How many times have I fallen asleep while riding on public transportation? How many times while sleeping on public transportation have people made fun of me?

To take it a step further (this topic was breached in an earlier post) -- where do I rank all time in these categories v friends and v the world. Am I tops at anything, or in the top percentile? I'm sort of convinced that I scored the first goal in 1994. As the clock turned to midnight, I unleashed a ferocious shot at the Goshen College Rec Center. I'm thinking it hit the back of the net at around 12:00:01. Maybe it was even faster. Maybe it was 11:59:59, in which case it would've been the last goal of 1993. Still not a bad trophy to put on the mantle in your gameroom. If I had a mantle or a gameroom.

This sort of all goes along with me being a nostalgic person in the present moment. And I'm not just interested in magnitude or in historicals, I'm also interested in real-time stats and projections. Like when I'm hanging out with someone, I'm also thinking about how many hours I've spent with them, and how many hours I'll spend with them in the future. Imagine walking by someone in the street and seeing a stat sheet hovering above their head that listed these kinds of things. You'd realize that it would be the last you'd see of some people, and that some casual or new friends could end up being the people you know the best when it's all said and done.

If this isn't stuff you've ever thought about, then forget I ever brought it up.

Oh and a lifetime highlights video would be nice too.

I wonder how many song lyrics I know.

I wonder how many times I've made a reference to Brad Miller's diminutive stature.

I wonder where Brad Miller ranks in terms of shortest people ever.

2 comments:

Bee Rad said...

I'm probably #2367 right behind Spud Webb and right before Tom Cruise.

Unknown said...

let's not give Tom Cruise credit he doesn't deserve. you're definitely taller than him. and way less insane.